You mean you just heard of #Blogtober?
Here’s the break down.
Blogtober is a writing/blogging challenge where you create and share new content every day for the 31 days (the Month of October).
Though you can promote your blog however way you wish or currently do, I recommend using this opportunity to connect with other content creators via Twitter hashtag #Blogtober.
Um so I don’t have a blog….
Don’t sweat it. Creating a blog is rather easy through wordpress.com.
Though I am a programmer (and WordPress Developer) I could’ve easily have gone the self-hosted route which definitely would have cost benefits as well as some other advantages, but I opted not to for one reason:
Feedback is the mother’s milk for good creatives and frankly anyone doing everything. WordPress.com websites come connected to a social network of other blogs which is great for fledgling bloggers to make connections, learn and develop a following.
If you’re not sure what to write about read on…
The Beauty of a Single Subject
There is a concept of graphic design that I think is really practical, useful, and helpful for bloggers. Bonnie Skalid explains it very nicely.
If most of the elements in a work of art are grouped closely together, an object by itself stands out as a focal point. –Bonnie Skalid
There Are Some Other Benefits As Well…
- It’s a good way of proving your expertise on a subject or craft.
- It’s a good way of developing a consistent writing habit and practicing the scheduling gymnastics required to maintain it.
- It’s a good way of finding out what matters to your readers.
- It gives you a chance to focus on improving your content.
- It gives you a chance to practice creating different types of content for a single subject (a very employable skill).
I tried this last month with the clear expectation that this wasn’t going to make my traffic numbers skyrocket and blow up my comment section for 30 consecutive days.
And you won’t believe what happened next…
Just kidding. This isn’t one of those articles.
After thirty days of keeping a journal about my goals on my blog I neither had any extraordinary amounts of subscriptions nor did my comment sections overflow. My goal was to focus on my habits, write or create content everyday, and to consistently improve. To that effect it was a success.
Then something really cool happened.
With the knowledge I had gathered I was able to create much better content and my engagement steadily began to grow. My prerogative from the beginning had been to prioritize creating value for those who take a chance on my content over attracting traffic.
Which is a prerogative that I discovered while keeping a journal for thirty days. As well as the fact that readers of this blog and I share a deep love for writing and blogging.
I assure you having quantifiable evidence of that was the first true sign that my blog had become at least a seedling of a community. That alone was worth blogging about a single subject for thirty days.
With that Being said these are some ideas that I had that you are welcome to use.
Single Subject Blog Ideas
- Document your journey of following a popular fitness or diet plan.
- Get rid of or add something to your home every day and explain why you chose that thing to be discarded. For bonus points donate acceptable items to the Salvation Army.
- Places you have been or wish to go and why you want to do so.
- Post photographs, art or poetry once a day.
- Write about your passion or your profession
- Advocate for a cause for 31 days.
- Try something new every day.
- Learn a skill in 30 days
- Give one piece of life advice a day.
- Document an existing Collection of Something.
- Post a band, artist, writer or blogger that you feel everyone should know about.
I am really looking forward to the start of Blogtober tomorrow. I’ve been fortunate enough to find a small group of writers who are also participating, and I am very curious to see how tackling this challenge together turns out to be like.
If You want to check out the awesome content they will be creating you can check them out below. If you want to or are participating already, let me know and I’ll add you to the footer of my Blogtober post.
Other Blogs Participating in Blogtober
- I Thought I Knew Mama – http://www.ithoughtiknewmama.com
- Opposite Tourists – https://oppositetourists.com
- Kourtney In Color – http://kourtneyincolor.com
- Multipotentialite Thoughts – https://multipotentialitethoughts.com
- Kristines Blog– http://www.kristinesblog.com
- Arie Macherie– https://ariemacherie.com
- Simply Stephanie – http://simplystephanie.ca
- Gina Shirleys Everything– https://ginashirleyseverything.com
- Gold Millenial – goldmillennial.com
*For the record, I have my site connected to Google Search Console.